I am pleased to announce a new version of my CLI text processing with GNU grep and ripgrep ebook. Examples, exercises, solutions, descriptions and external links were added/updated/corrected. The chapter on
ripgrep was changed significantly to focus mostly on the differences compared to
This book will help you learn these commands step-by-step from beginner to advanced levels with hundreds of examples and exercises.
To celebrate the new release, you can download PDF/EPUB versions of CLI text processing with GNU grep and ripgrep for FREE till 21-May-2023. You can still pay if you wish ;)
- Computing from the Command Line is FREE — Linux command line tools and Shell Scripting for beginner to intermediate level users
- All Books Bundle is $12 (normal price $32) — all my 13 programming ebooks
- Command versions updated to GNU grep 3.10 and ripgrep 13.0.0
- Many more exercises added
- PCRE chapter — added section for conditional grouping, corrected description and examples for
\K, atomic grouping, etc
- ripgrep chapter — options and regex section modified to present only differences compared to
GNU grep, added details for more options such as
--field-match-separator, improved recursive search section, etc
- Long sections split into smaller ones
- In general, many of the examples, exercises, solutions, descriptions and external links were updated/corrected
- Updated Acknowledgements section
- Code snippets related to info/warning sections will now appear as a single block
- Book title changed to CLI text processing with GNU grep and ripgrep
- New cover image
- Images centered for EPUB format
On this blog, I post tips covering Python, command line tools and Vim. Here are video demos for these tips:
Interactive TUI app🔗
I also wrote an interactive TUI app based on some of the exercises from the ebook. Reference solutions are provided for both
GNU grep and
Table of Contents🔗
- Frequently used options
- BRE/ERE Regular Expressions
- Context matching
- Recursive search
- Miscellaneous options
- Perl Compatible Regular Expressions
- Gotchas and Tricks
- Further Reading
You can also read the book online here: https://learnbyexample.github.io/learn_gnugrep_ripgrep/.
Visit https://github.com/learnbyexample/learn_gnugrep_ripgrep for markdown source, example files, exercise solutions, sample chapters and other details related to the book.
See also my blog post on how to customize
pandocfor generating beautiful PDF/EPUB versions from GitHub style markdown.
Subscribe to learnbyexample weekly — free newsletter covering programming resources, updates on what I am creating, tips, tools, free ebooks and more, delivered every Friday.
Feedback and Errata🔗
I would highly appreciate it if you'd let me know how you felt about this book. It could be anything from a simple thank you, Gumroad rating, pointing out a typo, mistakes in code snippets, which aspects of the book worked for you (or didn't!) and so on. Reader feedback is essential and especially so for self-published authors.
You can reach me via:
- Issue Manager: https://github.com/learnbyexample/learn_gnugrep_ripgrep/issues
echo 'bGVhcm5ieWV4YW1wbGUubmV0QGdtYWlsLmNvbQo=' | base64 --decode
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/learn_byexample
Happy learning :)