I am pleased to announce a new version of my CLI text processing with GNU sed ebook. Examples, exercises, solutions, descriptions and external links were added/updated/corrected.
This book will help you learn the
GNU sed command step-by-step from beginner to advanced levels with hundreds of examples and exercises. In addition to command options, regular expressions will also be discussed in detail.
To celebrate the new release, you can download PDF/EPUB versions of CLI text processing with GNU sed for FREE till 10-July-2023. You can still pay if you wish ;)
- CLI text processing with GNU grep and ripgrep is FREE
- All Books Bundle is $12 (normal price $32) — all my 13 programming ebooks
- Command version updated to GNU sed 4.9
- Many more exercises added, and you can practice some of them using this interactive TUI app
- Long sections split into smaller ones
- In general, many of the examples, exercises, solutions, descriptions and external links were updated/corrected
- Updated Acknowledgements section
- Code snippets related to info/warning sections will now appear as a single block
- Book title changed to CLI text processing with GNU sed
- New cover image
- Images centered for EPUB format
On this blog, I post tips covering Python, command line tools and Vim. Here are video demos for these tips:
Interactive TUI app🔗
I also wrote an interactive TUI app based on some of the exercises from the ebook. Reference solutions are also provided.
Table of Contents🔗
- In-place file editing
- Selective editing
- BRE/ERE Regular Expressions
- Shell substitutions
- z, s and f command line options
- append, change, insert
- Adding content from file
- Control structures
- Processing lines bounded by distinct markers
- Gotchas and Tricks
- Further Reading
You can also read the book online here: https://learnbyexample.github.io/learn_gnused/.
Visit https://github.com/learnbyexample/learn_gnused for markdown source, example files, exercise solutions, sample chapters and other details related to the book.
See also my blog post on how to customize
pandocfor generating beautiful PDF/EPUB versions from GitHub style markdown.
Subscribe to learnbyexample weekly — free newsletter covering programming resources, updates on what I am creating, tips, tools, free ebooks and more, delivered every Friday.
Feedback and Errata🔗
I would highly appreciate it if you'd let me know how you felt about this book. It could be anything from a simple thank you, Gumroad rating, pointing out a typo, mistakes in code snippets, which aspects of the book worked for you (or didn't!) and so on. Reader feedback is essential and especially so for self-published authors.
You can reach me via:
- Issue Manager: https://github.com/learnbyexample/learn_gnused/issues
echo 'bGVhcm5ieWV4YW1wbGUubmV0QGdtYWlsLmNvbQo=' | base64 --decode
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/learn_byexample
Happy learning :)